B.A., English Literature
Vision and Mission
- The teachers in English Department are committed to developing critical and creative thinkers who collaborate and communicate effectively.
PEO & PO (Programme Expected Outcome & Programme Outcome)
- The Department of English provides intensive mentoring to our students both in and beyond the classroom in a wide variety of forums.
- The students of literature are encouraged to develop a unique subjective objectivity that helps them in self-exploration and self realization.
- The Department runs the English Literary Association (ELA) which organizes various events including guest lectures, debates, and literary activities through the academic year and places an emphasis on written work and discussion as crucial components of the learning process.
Department ProfileThe English Department is one of the reputed departments of RCAS. Its reputation has been steadily enhanced over the years through the hard work of its faculty, which has traditionally combined excellence in research with a dedication to pedagogy. The pedagogy consists training the students in capturing, storing, accessing, sharing and applying knowledge. The Department of English at Rathinam College of Arts and Science concentrates on providing an overview of Literature from British literature, American, Canadian, Third world literature, Literary Theory & Criticism and ELT (English Language Teaching).
The Department of English provides intensive mentoring to our students both in and beyond the classroom in a wide variety of forums. The students of literature are encouraged to develop unique subjective ideas that help them in self exploration and self realization. The Department runs the English Literary Association (ELA) which organizes various events including guest lectures, debates, and literary activities throughout the academic year to kindle the students’ creativity.
More emphasis is given to the implementation of the subject knowledge into the real life. Analysing subjects to the core leads to deep insights. The classroom sessions are highly interactive as this allows the students to exhibit the spontaneous flow of their creativity and gives way to their curiosity. Critical thinking of the faculties and the students has served a long way in this process.
Under Graduate Courses
- B. A English Literature
English Language Laboratory
SoftwareClarity S. Net – 30 User
PC ConfigurationIntel Core i3 Processor
500 GB HDD
Headphones with Mike - 50
- Organized a Two day International Level Conference on Emerging Revolutionary Advancements in English Language Teaching (ERA-ELT) on 17th& 18th February 2017.
- Organizing a One day State Level Workshop on Learn English Online on 16th September 2017.
- Organized a One day National Level Workshop on Different Dimensions And Strategies In Public Speaking on 19th January 2016.
- Organized a Two day National Level Workshop on Emerging Revolutionary Advancements in English Language Teaching (ERA-ELT) on 7th& 8th August 2015.
PlacementStudents of English Literature can get jobs with the media as reporters. It is also possible for them to get jobs with newspaper firms. If they have a degree in journalism, they can get jobs with news broadcasting firms like NDTV, CNN – IBN, Zee News, Star News Communication etc. Companies that print out Magazines, as well as journals too, take in students of English literature frequently. Content development and ITES firms also recruit English post graduates. Some of the other fields besides this are Copywriter, Editor, Freelance Writer, Jobs with BPO and KPO firms, Novelist, Public Relation, Reporter, Teacher and Technical Writer.
- Dr. M. Richard Robert Raa (2015), Kalos. New Delhi : Laxmi Publication (ISBN No -978-93-85750-23-6).
- Dr. M. Richard Robert Raa (2015), 21st Century Skills. New Delhi : Laxmi Publication (ISBN No -978-81-7968-119-0).
- Dr. M. Richard Robert Raa (2016), Quest.Coimbatore: New Century Book House.
- Dr. M. Richard Robert Raa (2017), Emerging Revolutionary Advancements in English Language Teaching (ERA ELT – Conference Proceedings) (ISBN No – 978-81-90856-72-0).